Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

This privacy notice relates to personal data processed by the Office of Mrs Sarah Newton, Member of Parliament for Truro and Falmouth.

Who is the Data Controller?

The Data Controller is Mrs Sarah Newton, Member of Parliament for Truro and Falmouth.

What does the Office do?

The office discharges the duties and functions of an elected Member of Parliament. As part of this work, we conduct constituency casework and respond to policy queries, for which we must process personal data of on behalf of constituents.

How do we process data?

This office processes constituents’ data under the lawful basis of public task. In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit consent is required, a member of the office will contact the constituent to establish consent.

We are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.

In cases where third parties i.e. family members or support workers, may be acting on behalf of a constituent a form of authority must be completed and signed by the constituent and returned to the office. Copies of which can be found here.

All personal data is held securely on a remote, “cloud” based casework management system whose servers are based in the European Union. Access to this data is limited to Sarah and members of her team. Multi-factor authentication is used to access the casework management system.

Any letters or similar correspondence are scanned on to the casework management system on the day of receipt and shredded immediately afterwards, so it is recommended that you only send copies of important documentation. Please let us know in advance if you would like us to return your documents.

Will we share your data with anyone else?

If you have contacted Sarah about a personal or policy issue, we may pass your personal data on to third parties in the course of dealing with your issue, examples of this include (but are not limited to) government agencies, local authorities, companies, housing associations, health trusts, public bodies, regulators etc.

Under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) any third parties with whom we may share your data are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only for the basis upon which they were originally intended.

In all cases, we will not use your personal data in a way that goes beyond what is necessary to deal with your enquiry.

Examples of how we share your data can be found here.

For how long will you keep my personal data?

Unless specifically requested by you, our office will hold your personal data as long as Sarah remains the Member of Parliament for Truro and Falmouth.

Casework and policy queries are often revisited to provide the best service and representation for constituents, from whom we may continue to receive correspondence. Therefore, we feel it is reasonable for an elected representative to hold personal data for as long as they remain a Member of Parliament.

What rights do I have to my personal data?

At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:

  • Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
  • Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
  • Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
  • Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
  • Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
  • Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing, such as direct marketing.
  • Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
  • Right to judicial review: if our office refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason why. You have the right to complain.

How can I contact somebody about my privacy?

You can get in touch with our office by letter, email or telephone using the contact details on this website.

Please note that we will ask for identification should you choose to exercise any of the above rights in relation to personal data we hold.